Saint Alban’s, Ventnor is a fine example of an Arts & Crafts church in the Basilica style. It was built in 1923 to the designs of the architect Franco M. Coley on the elevated site previously occupied by a temporary ‘Iron Church’ which had been erected 34 years earlier.
The first service on the site was held on the steps leading up to the Iron Church on 15 Sept, 1889 and conducted by the then priest-in-charge, The Reverend Father Richard Ussher.
The Church has superb acoustics and a good musical tradition. Therein are a number of splendid pieces of artwork including a memorial window by Sir Ninian Comper. Be sure to look for the fish fossil which is embedded in one of the polished columns. St. Alban’s was the late Sir John Betjeman’s favoured church on the island.